Professional and academic career
1979-1980 Research and Teaching Assistant, Department of Psychobiology, University of California, Irvine
1980-1983 Research Assistant, Neurosciences Program, Stanford University
1983-1987 Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. Neurology Stanford University School of Medicine
1987-1992 Assistant Professor Section of Neurobiology/Neuroanatomy Yale University School of Medicine
1992-1994 Associate Professor, Section of Neurobiology Yale University School of Medicine
1994-pres. Professor, Department of Neurobiology, Yale University School of Medicine
2008-pres. Vice Director, Kavli Institute for Neuroscience, Yale University School of Medicine
2008-pres. Dorys McConnell Duberg Professor of Neurobiology
2009-pres. Associate, The Neuroscience Institute, La Jolla, California
2013-pres. Director, Yale Swartz Initiative in Computational Neuroscience
2014-pres. Professor of Psychology, Secondary Appointment, Dept. Psychology, Yale University
Honours and awards
1977 Phi Beta Kappa
1979 B.A., B.S., Summa Cum Laude
1981 NIMH Predoctoral Fellowship
1983 John R. Whittier Award, Committee to Combat Huntington's Disease
1984 Giannini Foundation Fellowship
1984 NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship
1984 Donald B. Lindsley Award
1987 Esther and Joseph Klingenstein Fellowship
1989 Jane and Peter Pattison Award
1990 Sloan Foundation Award
1992 Runner-up, Society for Neuroscience Young Investigator Award
1993 Esther and Joseph Klingenstein Fund Senior Investigator Award
1997 McKnight Foundation Investigator Award
2001 Yngve Zotterman Prize, Swedish Physiological Society
2005 Jacob Javits Investigator Award, NIH
2008 Dorys McConnell Duberg Professor of Neurobiology
2012 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
2014 Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences
General administrative and organisational experience
1995-1996 Scholar Awards Committee, Yale University School of Medicine
1997-1998 Chair, Scholar Awards Committee, Yale University School of Medicine
1999-2000 Chair, NINDS Panel on Channels, Synapses and Circuits
2000-present Chair, Neurobiology Faculty Recruitment Committee
2003-2006 Promotions Committee (term), Yale University
School of Medicine
2008-2012 Yale Medical School Tenure Allotment Committee
2011-pres. Society for Neuroscience Program Committee
2012-pres. Member, Neural Coding Advisory Board, Allen Institute for Brain Science – 10 year effort to decipher the functional physiology of the cerebral cortex by the Allen Institute
2013-pres. Biological Sciences Advisory Committee (advises on structure of Division of Biological Sciences and makes tenure and promotion decisions), Yale University
2014-2017 Chair elect, Society for Neuroscience Program Committee
Neural mechanisms of forebrain function and dysfunction with special emphasis on cellular and network mechanisms of state dependent activities.
- McCormick, D.A. and Thompson, R.F. (1983) Cerebellum: Essential involvement in the classically conditioned eyeblink response. Science 223: 296-299.
- Pape, H.-C. and McCormick, D.A. (1989) Norepinephrine and serotonin modulate thalamic burst firing by enhancing a hyperpolarization-activated cation current. Nature 340: 715-718.
- von Krosigk, M., Bal, T., and McCormick, D.A. (1993) Cellular mechanisms of a synchronized oscillation in the thalamus. Science, 261: 361-364.
- Kim, U., Sanchez-Vives, M.V., and McCormick, D.A. (1997) Functional dynamics of GABAergic inhibition in the thalamus. Science 278: 130-134.
- McCormick, D.A., Contreras, D. (2001) On the cellular and network bases of epileptic seizures. Annual Review of Physiology 63: 815-846.
- Shu, Y., Hasenstaub, A., McCormick, D.A. (2003) Turning on and off recurrent balanced cortical activity. Nature 423: 288-293.
- Hasenstaub, A., Shu, Y., Haider, B, Kraushaar, U., Duque, A., and McCormick, D.A. (2005) Inhibitory postsynaptic potentials carry synchronized frequency information in active cortical networks. Neuron, 47: 423-435.
- Shu, Y., Hasenstaub, A., Duque, A., Yu, Y. and McCormick, D.A. (2006) Modulation of intracortical synaptic potentials by presynaptic membrane potential. Nature 441: 761-765.
- Haider B, Krause MR, Duque A, Yu Y, Touryan J, Mazer JA, McCormick DA. (2010) Synaptic and network mechanisms of sparse and reliable visual cortical activity during nonclassical receptive field stimulation. Neuron 65: 107-121.
- Hadzipasic, M., Tahvildari, B., Nagy, M., Bian, N., Horwich, A.L., McCormick, D.A. (2014) Selective degeneration of a physiological subtype of spinal motor neuron in mice with SOD1-linked ALS. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 111: 16883-8