Professional and Academic Career
1983-1988 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Pharmacology, University of Florence, Italy.
1988-1992 Research Assistant, Department of Pharmacology, University of Florence, Italy.
1989-1991 Research Associate, Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, USA.
1991-1992 Instructor in Neuroscience, In-Residence, Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, USA.
1993-1995 Research Staff Member, Biomed 1 EC Project (BMH1-CT93-1033), Department of Pharmacology, University of Florence, Italy
1995-1996 Hospital Assistant in the Unit of Pharmacology associated with the AOU Careggi Hospital, Florence
1995-2001 Assistant Professor ("Ricercatore Universitario"), Department of Pharmacology, University of Florence, Italy.
1997-present I Level Medical Director (Drug Information Activity in Psychopharmacology) in the Unit of Pharmacology associated with the AOU Careggi Hospital, Florence
2000-present Support activity for the Scientific Secretary of the Ethical Committee for Clinical Drug Experimentation of the the AOU Careggi Hospital, Florence
2001-present Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacology, University of Florence, Italy.
2014-present Scientific National Qualification as a Full Professor in Pharmacology
2015-present Visiting Associate Professor, Bing Overseas Studies Program, Stanford University in Florence.
Honours & Awards
1983 M. D., cum laude (University of Florence, Italy)
1987 Residency in Pharmacology, cum laude (University of Florence, Italy)
1993 Ph. D. in Pharmacology and Toxicology (University of Florence, Italy)
1991 Awarded travel fellowship from the Fidia Research Foundation to attend the "Excitatory Amino Acids 1992" Meeting, Yosemite, CA.
1994 "Honorable mention" at the "Alberico Benedicenti" Prize 1994, awarded by the Italian Society of Pharmacology.
2010 “Memorial Giampaolo Bardelli” (Pistoia) Prize for the activity as Supervisor in more than 50 Doctoral Theses on topics related to doping at the Graduate Course in Motor Sciences of the University of Florence.
Administrative and Organisational Experience
1999-2010 Member of the Internal Evaluation Nucleus and then of the Planification Commission the Department of Pharmacology, University of Florence
2004 Organizing Committe (Scientific Secretary) of the Meeting "Fight against doping: a social priority", Florence
2006-2011 Representative of the Department of Pharmacology at the Medical Library Committee, University of Florence
2008-2011 Executive Secretary of the Local Organizing Committee of the 8th World Congress of International Brain
Research Organization (IBRO), Florence, 2011
2010-2013 Member of the Executive Board, Italian Society of Neuroscience
2011-2015 Chair, World Congress & Regional Meetings Committee, IBRO
2012 Organizing Committe (Scientific Secretary) of the Monothematic Meeting “New therapeutic sdtrategies in cerebral ischemia”, Urbino
2012-2014 Member of the Host Society Committee, FENS Forum 2014, Milan
2013 Programme Committe of the XV National Congress of the Italian Society of Neuroscience, Rome.
1980-1989 a) Role of excitatory amino acids in the pathogenesis of hepatic encephalopathy; b) Role of calcium and phospholipase C in morphine dependence and withdrawal; b) Cooperation between excitatory amino acid release and free radical production in models of cerebral ischemia.
1989-1992 AMPA/kainate receptor gene expression in physiological (development) and pathological (epilepsy, ischemia, neurodegenerative diseases) states.
1993-2000 a) Neuroprotective effects of mGlu1 receptor antagonists in in vitro and in vivo models of cerebral ischemia; b) Role of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) in the mechanisms of post-ischemic and excitotoxic cell death;
2001-present a) Role of mGlu1 and of its interactions with endocannabinoids in the mechanisms of post-ischemic cell death; b) Role of mGlu receptors, PARP and HDAC in models of in vitro ischemic pre-conditioning and postconditioning; c) Role of excitatory synaptic transmission in in vitro models of ethanol toxicity.
1) Gerace, E., Landucci, E., Scartabelli, T., Moroni, F., Chiarugi, A. & Pellegrini-Giampietro, D. E. (2015) Interplay between histone acetylation/deacetylation and poly(ADP-ribosyl) ation in the development of ischemic tolerance in vitro. Neuropharmacology 92: 125-134.
2) Gerace E., Scartabelli T., Formentini L., Landucci E., Moroni F., Chiarugi A. & Pellegrini-Giampietro D. E. (2012) Mild activation of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) is neuroprotective in rat hippocampal slice models of ischemic tolerance. Eur. J. Neurosci. 36: 1993-2005.
3) Landucci E., Scartabelli T., Gerace E., Moroni F. & Pellegrini-Giampietro D. E. (2011) CB1 receptors and postischemic brain damage: studies on the toxic and neuroprotective effects of cannabinoids in rat organotypic hippocampal slices. Neuropharmacology 60: 674-682.
4) Boscia F., Ferraguti F., Annunziato L., Moroni F. & Pellegrini-Giampietro D. E. (2008) Co-localization of mGlu1α and CB1 receptor immunoreactivity in the CA1 region of organotypic hippocampal slice cultures and adult rat brain. Neuropharmacology 55: 428-439.
5) Meli E., Pangallo M., Picca R., Baronti R., Moroni F. & Pellegrini-Giampietro D. E. (2004) Differential role of poly(ADP-ribose polymerase (PARP-1) in apoptotic and necrotic neuronal death induced by mild or intense NMDA exposure. Mol. Cell. Neurosci. 25: 172-180.
6) Moroni F., Meli E., Peruginelli F., Chiarugi A., Cozzi A., Picca R., Romagnoli P., Pellicciari R. & Pellegrini-Giampietro D. E. (2001) Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitors attenuate necrotic but not apoptotic neuronal death in experimental models of cerebral ischemia. Cell Death Differ. 8: 921-932.
7) Pellegrini-Giampietro D. E., Cozzi A., Leonardi P., Peruginelli F., Meli E., Pellicciari R. & Moroni F. (1999). 1- Amino-1, 5-dicarboxylic acid and (S) -(+) -2-(3'-carboxybicyclo[1.1.1]pentyl) -glycine, two mGlu1 receptor-preferring antagonists, reduce neuronal death in in vitro and in vivo models of cerebral ischemia. Eur. J. Neurosci. 11:3637-3647.
8) Pellegrini-Giampietro D. E., Zukin R. S., Bennett M. V. L., Cho S. & Pulsinelli W. A. (1992). Switch in glutamate receptor subunit gene expression in CA1 subfield of hippocampus following global ischemia in rats. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89: 10499-10503.
9) Pellegrini-Giampietro D. E., Bennett M. V. L. & Zukin R. S. (1991). Differential expression of three glutamate receptor genes in developing rat brain: an in situ hybridization study. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88: 4157-4161.
10) Pellegrini-Giampietro D. E., Cherici G., Alesiani M., Carlà V. & Moroni F. (1990). Excitatory amino acid release and free radical formation may cooperate in the genesis of ischemia-induced neuronal damage. J. Neurosci. 10: 1035-1041.