Professional and academic career
1989 Medical Doctor, School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, Croatia
1990 General Practitioner license following the completion of 1-year obligatory internship for medical doctors
1998 PhD in Biomedicine/Biochemistry
1992–2004 Researcher at Department for Chemistry and Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Zagreb
2002–2013 Principal investigator on several domestic and bilateral collaborative projects
2004–2009 Assistant Professor in Biomedicine/Biochemistry and Neuroscience at Croatian Institute for Brain Research (CIBR), School of Medicine, Zagreb
Since 2007 Head of Laboratory for Molecular Neurobiology and Neurochemistry at CIBR
Since 2009 Associate Professor at School of Medicine, University of Zagreb
Honours and awards
1992 Grant within a German SFB project, Technical Faculty Bielefeld, Germany
2000 – 2002 Several study visits to Centre for Functional Genomics and Biochips, and Department for Biochemistry, School of Medicine, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, granted by bilateral Croatian-Slovenian project
2002 French government award and study visit to Centre de Génétique Moléculaire du CNRS, Gif-sur-Yvette, France
General administrative and organisational experience
Member of Local organising committee of International Neuroscience Summer School ''Development and Plasticity of the Human Cerebral Cortex'' (organised by Croatian Society for Neuroscience, supported by FENS-IBRO), Zadar, Croatia, 2005
Head of Local organising committee of NEUROTRAIN Autumn School “Pathophysiology and plasticity of neuroglial interactions” (Supported by the European Commission, Research Directorate General, Marie Curie Conferences and Training Courses), Dubrovnik, Croatia, 2007
Member of PENS-Blackwell Summer School “Stress, drug addiction and eating disorders”, Dubrovnik, Croatia, 2009
Head of Local organising committee of FENS-IBRO/Blackwell Summer School “Cognition and action: Systems neuroscience approach to understanding complex behavior”, Dubrovnik, Croatia, 2010
Member of organising and programme committees of national meetings organised by Croatian Society for Neuroscience - 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Croatian Neuroscience Congress (Zagreb 2007, Zadar 2009 and Zagreb 2013)
Member of Programme committee of FENS FFRM Sinapsa Neuroscience Conference, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2011
Since 2004, active participant of BAW in Croatia and several times a coordinator of BAW in Zagreb, Croatia; Principal applicant of BAW project "Brainy granny" funded by FENS Partner Programme Funding, 2012
Since 2007, involved in organisation and implementation of Doctoral Studies in Neuroscience (PhD fellows tutorship, teaching), Croatian Institute for Brain Research, University of Zagreb
Since 2010, the Associate editor of Translational Neuroscience
Secretary of Croatian Society for Neuroscience
The role of membrane lipids in neurodegeneration, particularly the involvement of sphingolipids in pathogenesis of neurodegenerative processes; The effects of structural/compositional alterations in lipid environment on membrane proteins expression and specific functions in mammalian nervous system; The interplay of specific membrane lipid and protein molecules in synaptic membrane organisation
- Mlinac K, Fabris D, Vukelić Z, Rožman M, Heffer M, Bognar SK. (2013) Structural analysis of brain ganglioside acetylation patterns in mice with altered ganglioside biosynthesis. Carbohydr Res 15(382):1-8.
- Mlinac K, Jovanov Milošević N, Heffer M, Smalla KH, Schnaar RL, Kalanj Bognar S. Neuroplastin Expression in the Hippocampus of Mice Lacking Complex Gangliosides. (2012) J Mol Neurosci 48(1):161-166.
- Mlinac K, Fon Tacer K, Heffer M, Rozman D, Kalanj Bognar S. (2012) Cholesterogenic genes expression in brain and liver of ganglioside-deficient mice. Mol Cell Biochem 369:127-133.
- Schiopu C, Vukelić Z, Capitan F, Kalanj-Bognar S, Sisu E, Zamfir AD. (2012) Chip-nanoelectrospray quadrupole time-of-flight tandem mass spectrometry of meningioma gangliosides: A preliminary study. Electrophoresis 33(12):1778-1786.
- Schiopu C, Flangea C, Capitan F, Serb A, Vukelić Ž, Kalanj-Bognar S, Sisu E, Przybylski M, Zamfir A. (2009) Determination of ganglioside composition and structure in human brain hemangioma by chip-based nanoelectrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. Anal bioanal chem 395:2465-2447.
- Kalanj Bognar S, Foretić B, Vukelić Ž, Gulin T, Ježek D. (2008) Cytotoxicity of Selected Pyridinium Oximes in Human SH-SY5Y Neuroblastoma Cell Line. Croatica chemica acta 81:67-71.
- Vukelić Ž, Bognar SK, Froesch M, Bindila L, Radić B, Allen M, Katalinić JP, Zamfir AD. (2007) Human gliosarcoma-associated ganglioside composition is complex and distinctive as evidenced by high-performance mass spectrometric determination and structural characterization. Glycobiology 17(5):504-15.
- Kalanj Bognar S. (2006) Ganglioside catabolism is altered in fibroblasts and leukocytes from Alzheimer's disease patients. Neurobiol Aging. 27(9):1354-1356.
- Žuntar I, Kalanj Bognar S, Topić E, Petlevski R, Demarin V, Štefanović M.(2004) The glutathione S-transferase polymorphisms in a control population and in Alzheimer's disease patients. Clin Chem Lab Med 42(3):334-339.
- Fon Tacer K, Kalanj Bognar S, Waterman MR, Rozman D. (2003) Lanosterol Metabolism and SREBP Expression in Male Germ Cell Maturation. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 85:429-438.
- Kalanj Bognar S, Rundek T, Furač I, Ćosović Č, Demarin V. (2002) Leukocyte Lysosomal Enzymes in Alzheimer's Disease and Down's Syndrome. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 57A (1):B16-B21.
- Kračun I, Kalanj S, Talan-Hranilović J, Ćosović Č (1992) Cortical distribution of gangliosides in Alzheimer's disease. Neurochem Int 20, 3:433-438.
- Kračun I, Kalanj S, Ćosović Č, Talan-Hranilović J (1990) Brain gangliosides in Alzheimer's disease. J Hirnforsch 31, 6:789-793.