A local spreading of knowledge on the history of neuroscience using seminars, organised by History grants recipients throughout Europe, with a focus on the history of the 20th century.
Have a look at the past seminars.
MARCH (The Brain Awareness Week)
• Naples: on 18 March 2015, involving three secondary schools' students repectively coming from the "Liceo Statale Scientifico 'Giuseppe Mercalli'", the "Istituto Paritario Bianchi dei Padri Barnabiti" and the "Liceo Classico 'Umberto I'"; and organised by Dr. Gioacchino Tedeschi (University of Naples and Italian Society of Neurology- SIN) and Dr. Lorenzo Lorusso (Neurology Dept., Chiari and Chair of the FENS History Committee). Another session took place on 11 April 2015.
• Oxford: on 19 March 2015, the seminar "Neuroscience in Oxford: Four Centuries of Discovery"
• Venice: on 7 November 2015, on "The Contribution of Neuroscience in Veneto. Cultural and Medical-Scientific roots: actuality and perspectives" at the Sala San Domenico of the Ospedale Civile Ss. Giovanni e Paolo.
• Paris: on 3-4 December 2015, on "De l’Histoire des Neurosciences à la Neuropsychiatrie Moderne" at the ICM Auditorium in the Hôpital Pitié Salpêtrière, in collaboration with the Institut du Cerveau et de la moelle épinière (ICM).
• London: on 14 December 2015, on "Neuroscience - Past, Present and Future" at the Kings College London, for the 50th anniversary of the British Neuroscience Association (BNA)
• Moscow: on 26th May 2016, on "History of Clinical and Fundamental Neurology in Russia: Contribution to European Neuroscience", At the History of medicine center of Moscow State, University of medicine and dentisrty Dolgorukovskaya, in collaboration with the Russian Neuroscience Society.
• Copenhagen: At the FENS Forum 2016, on 4th July 2016, on "An Evening at Medical Museion: "The History of Neuroscience in Scandinavia" in the anatomy auditorium of the Medical Museion of Copenhagen. The symposium was followed by guided tours of the Museion.
• Maastricht: as a session of the International Society for the History of the Neurosciences (ISHN) meeting on July 11-15, 2016.
• Madrid: 24 November 2016, on "The dawn of Spanish Neuroscience", in partnership with the Instituto Cajal (CSIC) and the Sociedad Española de Neurociencia
• Paris: 8 December, on “La mémoire, histoire et actualité”, in collaboration with l’Institut du cerveau et de la moelle épinière (ICM) and the Société Française de Neurologie (SFN).
• Milan: 14 December, on "History and Protagonists of the Neuropsychiatry in Lombardy", in collaboration with Fondazione IRCCS Cà Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Neurologico C. Besta and Società Italiana di Neurologia (SIN).
• St Petersburg: 17-19 April, Scientific Forum devoted to the 100th anniversary of the Russian Physiological Society created by Ivan .P. Pavlov, at the Pavlov Institute of Physiology of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
• Turin: 4 May, Seminar on the History of Neuroscience in Turin, organised by the University of Turin and the Italian Neuroscience Society.
• Bordeaux: 19 May, History session at the French Neuroscience Society meeting - NeuroFrance 2017 (17-19 May).
• Besançon (France): 19-23 June, History session at the 22nd meeting of the International Society for the History of the Neurosciences (ISHN).
• Pécs (Hungary): 22 September, History Special Event at the FENS Regional Meeting (FRM), on "The history of neuroscience in central and eastern Europe during and after communism”.
• Ischia (Naples, Italy): 4 October, History Symposium on “Visions in Neurosciences” at the National Congress of the Italian Neuroscience Society (SINS).
• Milan: 14 November, a seminar on the 200 anniversary of the description of Parkinson disease, organised at and in partnership with the Fondazione I.R.C.C.S. Istituto Neurologico Carlo Besta.
• Pavia (Italy): 22-23 November, the centenary conference "Disease mechanisms, new diagnostic and therapeutic directions in neurology" of the Neurology Institute "Casimiro Mondino".
• Paris: 7 December, "Bicentenaire de la publication : 'An Essay on the Shaking Palsy' de James Parkinson", organised at and in partnership with the Institut du cerveau et de la moelle épinière (ICM).