Since 2010 DR2 C. N. R. S. position
2006-2010 C. N. R. S, CR1. INMED (INSERM U901, Marseille, France) - INSERM Group leader
2003-2006 C. N. R. S, CR1. INMED (INSERM U901, Marseille, France) - Co-leadership with Dr. V. Crépel of the group “Developmental and reactive plasticity of hippocampal networks”
2001-2003 HFSP Research fellow in Pr. Yuste laboratory (Columbia University, New York USA).
Honours and awards
2016 Prix Recherche de l’INSERM 2015 Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite
2014 ERC Consolidator Grant (Neuropioneers)
2009 ERC Starting Grant (GABANetworks) 2008 Coup d’Elan de la Fondation Bettencourt
2005 Médaille de Bronze du CNRS.
General administrative and organisational experience
-2016: elected for directorship of the Institute of Mediterranean Neurobiology
-2012-2016: nominated member of the CSS6 (Neuroscience) of INSERM
-Member of the Board of the "Centuri" Interdisciplinary Reserach Institute (ANR/ AMU)
-Grant reviewer for several agencies including the European Research Council, the Wellcome Trust, ANR, FRC, etc. .
-member of the Advisory Boards: SFB 1089 (one evaluation visit in Bonn every year), NIH grant on “Development and function of 5HT3aR-expressing cortical GABAergic interneurons” (2014), SAB for the integration of a new research group at the Institut de Biologie Paris Seine Organized an international symposium “Linking single-cell properties and network dynamics” (April 2016, Marseille), member of the organization committee of an EMBO Workshop “Interneurons in health and disease” (2015, Mallorca), Member of the organizing committee of the French SFN (2011).
My general aim is to understand how hippocampal circuits are functionally organized to produce the various forms of coordinated activities that support hippocampal function and dysfunction, including memory, time and space coding, and seizure generation. For the past ten years in my lab, we have been addressing the issue of cortical circuit organization from a developmental perspective since I strongly believe that network development naturally provides a unique environment to dissect how microcircuits are organized. To describe cortical networks at the scale of microcircuits, we had developed a multi-angle experimental approach combining two-photon imaging of network dynamics in vitro (and now also in vivo) with mathematics, electrophysiology and neuroanatomy. I am now at a step where I can start applying the lessons from our previous developmental studies to determine whether a developmental scaffold is supporting the functional organization of adult hippocampal networks.
1. Malvache A*, Reichinnek S*, Villette V*, Haimerl C, Cossart R*. Awake hippocampal reactivations project onto orthogonal neuronal assemblies. Science, in press (2016)
2. Villette V*, Malvache A*, Tressard T, Dupuy N, Cossart R*. Internally Recurring Hippocampal Sequences as a Population Template of Spatiotemporal Information. Neuron. 88(2) :357-66 (2015)
3. Muldoon SF, Villette V, Tressard T, Malvache A, Reichinnek S, Bartolomei F, Cossart R*. GABAergic inhibition shapes interictal dynamics in awake epileptic mice. Brain. 138(Pt 10) :2875-90. (2015)
4. Marissal T, Bonifazi P, Picardo MA, Nardou R, Petit LF, Baude A, Fishell GJ, Ben-Ari Y, Cossart R*. Pioneer glutamatergic cells develop into a morpho-functionally distinct population in the juvenile CA3 hippocampus. Nature Commun. ; 3:1316. (2012)
5. Picardo MA, Guigue P, Bonifazi P, Batista-Brito R, Allene C, Ribas A, Fishell G, Baude A, Cossart R. Pioneer GABA Cells Comprise a Subpopulation of Hub Neurons in the Developing Hippocampus. Neuron 71(4) :695-709. (2011)
6. Sarah Feldt, P. Bonifazi and Cossart R*. Dissecting functional connectivity of cortical microcircuits: experimental and theoretical insights. Trends in Neurosciences (2011).
7. Bonifazi P., Goldin M., Picardo M. A., Jorquera I., Cattani A., Bianconi G., Represa A., Ben-Ari Y. & Cossart R. + GABAergic hub neurons orchestrate synchrony in developing hippocampal networks. Science 326, 1419-1424. (2009)
8. A Parturition-associated non-Synaptic Coherent Activity Pattern in the Developing Hippocampus. Crepel V, Aronov D, Jorquera I, Represa A, Ben-Ari Y, Cossart R. Neuron 54, 105-20 (2007).
9. Attractor dynamics of network UPstates in neocortical slices. Cossart R, Aronov D. and Yuste R. Nature. 423:283-8. (2003).
10. Dendritic but not somatic inhibition is decreased in experimental Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. Cossart R., Dinocourt C., Hirsch J. C., Merchan-Perez A., De Felipe J., Ben-Ari Y., Esclapez M., and Bernard C. Nature Neuroscience. 4, 52-62, (2001).