- Biochemistry Diploma Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, Switzerland
- PhD in Biochemistry, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, Switzerland
- Privatdozent in Neurobiology, University of Basel
- Postdoctoral fellow, University of California at San Francisco
- Oberassistent, Brain Research Institute, University of Zurich
- Junior Groupleader Friedrich Miescher Institut, Basel, Switzerland
- since 1995
- Senior Groupleader Friedrich Miescher Institut, Basel, Switzerland
- since 2007
- Professor in Neurobiology, University of Basel
- Chair, Meetings and Courses Committee of EMBO (ex-officio EMBO Council)
- Member of ERC panel Neuroscience (young investigator awards)
- Member of Program committee, EMBO Annual Meetings
- Member of EMBL-EMBO Symposia committee
- Organiser, Ascona Meetings on Neuronal Circuits
- Pun S, Santos AF, Saxena S, Lefler S, Caroni P. (2006) Nat. Neurosci. 9, 408-419. Selective vulnerability and pruning of phasic motoneuron axons alleviated by CNTF in motoneuron disease.
- Galimberti I, Gogolla N, Alberi S, Santos AF, Muller D, Caroni P. (2006) Neuron 50, 749-763. Long-term rearrangements of hippocampal mossy fiber terminal connectivity in the adult regulated by experience.
- De Paola V, Arber S, Caroni P. (2003) Nat.Neurosci. 6: 491-500. AMPA receptors regulate dynamic equilibrium of presynaptic terminals in mature hippocampal networks.
- Pun S, Sigrist M, Santos AF, Ruegg MA, Sanes JR, Jessell TM, Arber S, Caroni P. (2002) Neuron 34: 357-70. An intrinsic distinction in neuromuscular junction assembly and maintenance in different skeletal muscles.
- Bomze HM, Bulsara KR, Iskandar BJ, Caroni P, Skene JH. (2001) Nat.Neurosci. 4, 38-43. Spinal axon regeneration evoked by replacing two growth cone proteins in adult neurons.
- Arber S, Barbayannis FA, Hanser H, Schneider C, Stanyon CA, Bernard O, Caroni P. (1998) Nature 393, 805-9. Regulation of actin dynamics through phosphorylation of cofilin by LIM-kinase.
- Arber S, Hunter JJ, Ross J Jr, Hongo M, Sansig G, Borg J, Perriard JC, Chien KR, Caroni P. (1997) Cell 88, 393-403. MLP-deficient mice exhibit a disruption of cardiac cytoarchitectural organization, dilated cardiomyopathy, and heart failure.
- Aigner L, Arber S, Kapfhammer JP, Laux T, Schneider C, Botteri F, Brenner HR, Caroni P. (1995) Cell 83, 269-78. Overexpression of the neural growth-associated protein GAP-43 induces nerve sprouting in the adult nervous system of transgenic mice.
- Arber S, Halder G, Caroni P. (1994) Cell 79, 221-31. Muscle LIM protein, a novel essential regulator of myogenesis, promotes myogenic differentiation.
- Caroni P, Schwab ME. (1988) Neuron 1, 85-96. Antibody against myelin-associated inhibitor of neurite growth neutralizes nonpermissive substrate properties of CNS white matter.