Professional and academic career
1982. Aug. Bachelor, Bengbu Medical College, China
1985 Aug. Master, Nantong Medical College, China
1991 March Ph.D. Kyushu University, Japan.
1992.1-1994.1 Shanghai Brain Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai
1996,7 -1997,12 . Bekesy laboratory of Neurobiology, Univ. of Hawaii, USA
1998,1 -1999,12 . Department of Neurology, VA Medical Center, Univ. of Calif, San Francisco, USA
2010,1- present: Professor and Dean, Zhejiang University School of Medicine
2009, 1- 2009, 12, Associate director, Institute of Neuroscience, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai.
2000, 1 – 2009,12: Principal Investigator, Institute of Neuroscience, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai.
Honor and Awards
Academician, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2007
Academician, Academy of Sciences for the Developing World (TWAS), 2008
Prize for Scientific and Technological Achievements of Ho Leung Ho Lee Foundation, 2008
The State Natural Science Award, China, 2010
General administrative and organisational experience
President: Chinese Society for Neuroscience (2011-)
President: Federation of Asia- Oceania Neuroscience Society (FAONS)(2014-)
Member：The Governing Council, International Brain Research Organization (2011-)
Member: International Affairs Committee, Society for Neuroscience (2012-2014)
Member: Global Membership Committee, Society for Neuroscience (2014-)
Editor in Chief, Neuroscience Bulletin (Official Journal of Chinese Society for Neuroscience) (2010-)
Editorial Board: J Neurophysiology, Glia; Hippocampus; Neurobiology of Disease; Cell Calcium, Plos One
Development, function, and plasticity of synaptic transmission.
The role and mechanisms of neuron-glia interactions in health and disease.
Neural circuit bases of brain functions
(* Corresponding author)
- Chen C, Li HQ, Liu YJ, Guo ZF, Wu HJ, Li X, Lou HF, Zhu LY, Wang D, Li XM, Yu L, Cao XT, Lu LR, Gao ZH, Duan S,A Novel Size-based Sorting Mechanism of Pinocytic Luminal Cargoes in Microglia, J Neurosci (in press)
- Han Y, Shi YF, Xi W, Zhou R, Tan ZB, Wang H, Li XM, Chen Z, Feng GP, Huang ZL, Duan*, and Yu YQ, Selective Activation of Cholinergic Basal Forebrain Neurons Induces Immediate Sleep wake Transitions, Current Biology 2014，24： 693-698
- Wu HJ, Liu YJ, Li HQ, Chen C, Dou Y, Lou HF, Ho MS, Li XM, Gao Z, Duan S. Analysis of microglial migration by a micropipette assay. Nature Protoc. 2014, 9: 491-500.
- Li HQ, Chen C, Dou Y, Wu HJ, Liu YJ, Lou HF, Zhang JM, Li XM, Wang H, Duan S*. P2Y4 receptor-mediated pinocytosis contributes to amyloid beta-induced self-uptake by microglia. Mol Cell Biol. 2013, 33: 4282-93.
- Chen J, Tan Z, Zeng L, Zhang X, He Y, Gao W, Wu X, Li Y, Bu B, Wang W, Duan S*. Heterosynaptic long-term depression mediated by ATP released from astrocytes. Glia. 2013，61:178-191
- Zhu B, Xu D, Deng X, Chen Q, Huang Y, Peng H, Li Y, Jia B, Thoreson WB, Ding W, Ding J, Zhao L, Wang Y, Wavrin KL, Duan S*, Zheng J. CXCL12 enhances human neural progenitor cell survival through a CXCR7- and CXCR4-mediated endocytotic signaling pathway. Stem Cells. 2012, 30:2571-2583
- Y Dou, HJ Wu, HQ Li, S Qin, HF Lou, QM Luo, Duan S*, Microglia Migration Mediated by ATP-Induced ATP Release from Lysosome, Cell Res, 2012 22:1022-1033
- Song AH, Wang D, Chen G, Li Y, Luo J, Duan S*, Poo MM. A selective filter for cytoplasmic transport at the axon initial segment. Cell. 2009, 136:1148-1160.
- Tong XP, Li XY, Zhou B, Shen WH, Zhang ZJ, Xu TL, Duan S*，Ca2+ signaling evoked by activation of Na+ channels and Na+/Ca2+ exchangers is required for GABA-induced NG2 cell migration, J Cell Biol, 2009, 186: 113-128
- Li H, Chen G, Zhou B, Duan S*. Actin Filament Assembly by MARCKS- PI(4,5)P2 Signaling Is Critical for Dendrite Branching. Mol Biol Cell. 2008, 19: 4804-4813
- Z-J Zhang, G Chen, W Zhou, A-H Song, W Wang, T Xu, Q-M Luo, X-S Gu, Duan S*, Regulated ATP release from astrocytes via lysosome exocytosis. Nature Cell Biol 2007,9: 945-953.
- Ge WP, Duan S*. Persistent Enhancement of Neuron-Glia Signaling Mediated by Increased Extracellular K+ Accompanying Long-Term Synaptic Potentiation. J Neurophysiol. 2007, 97: 2564-2569
- Chen G, Li HM, Chen YR, Gu XS, Duan S*. Decreased estradiol release from astrocytes contributes to the neurodegeneration in a mouse model of Niemann-Pick disease type C. Glia 2007; 55:1509-1518.
- Ge WP, Yang XJ, Zhang ZJ, Wang HK, Deng QD, Duan S* Long-Term Potentiation of Neuron-Glia Synapses Mediated by Ca2+-Permeable AMPA Receptors Science, 2006，312, 1533-1537
- Shen W, Wu B, Zhang Z, Dou Y, Rao ZR, Chen YR, Duan S*. Activity-induced rapid synaptic maturation mediated by presynaptic cdc42 signaling. Neuorn, 2006, 50: 401-414 (Cover) Comment： Atasoy and Kavalali，Presynaptic Unsilencing: Searching for a Mechanism. Neuron, 2006, 50:345-346
- Duan S*, Neary J, P2X7/P2Z receptors: properties and relevance to CNS functions (Invited review). Glia, 2006, 54:738-746.
- Li, C., Wu, CP., Duan S*, and Poo, M. Bidirectional Modification of Presynaptic Neuronal Excitability Accompanying Spike Timing-Dependent Synaptic Plasticity. Neuron，41, 257–268 （2004）
- Zhang, J. Wang, H., Ye, C., Ge, W., Chen, Y., Wu, CP., Poo, M., and Duan, S. ATP Released by Astrocytes Mediates Glutamatergic Activity-Dependent Heterosynaptic Suppression. Neuron, 40, 971-982 (2003) Comment：O Pascual and PG. Haydon, Synaptic Inhibition Mediated by Glia. Neuron, 40, 873-875 (2003)
- Yang, Y., Ge, W., Chen, Y., Wu, CP., Poo, M., and Duan, S*. Contribution of astrocytes to hippocampal long-term potentiation through release of D-serine. PNAS, 100, 15194 – 15199 (2003)
- Wang, Z., Xu, N., Wu,CP., Duan S*，and Poo, M. Bidirectional Changes in Spatial Dendritic Integration Accompanying Long-Term Synaptic Modifications. Neuron, 37: 463-472 (2003)
- Yuan X, Jin, M., Xu, X., Wu, CP., Poo, M., and Duan, S*. Signalling and crosstalk of Rho GTPases in mediating axon guidance. Nature Cell Biol, 5, 38 - 45 (2003)
- Duan, S, C M. Anderson, E C. Keung, K.Farrell, Y. Chen, and RA. Swanson. P2X7 Receptor-Mediated Release of Excitatory Amino Acids from Astrocytes. J Neurosci, 23: 1320-1328 (2003)
- Xiang Y, Li Y., Zhang Z., Wang S., Yuan XB., Wu CP, Poo MM and Duan S*, Nerve growth cones guidance mediated by G-protein-coupled receptors. (2002) Nature Neuroscience, 5, 843 - 848