Job ID: 101033
PhD position in translational neuroscience (Alzheimer’s disease modelling and therapeutics)
Position: Ph.D. Student
Deadline: 10 February 2023
Contract Length: 3 years, full-time (100%)
Institution: Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Department: Department of Neuromedicine and Movement Science, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
A 3-year, full time (100%) PhD position is open for an outstanding applicant to work on the project: Repurposing drugs for the treatment of Alzheimer´s disease (PROMISE). The aim of the PhD candidate position is to complete the doctoral education and obtain a PhD in Medicine and Health Sciences, awarded by the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, NTNU. The project and relevant PhD thesis represent cutting-edge neuroscience research in the field of Alzheimer´s disease (AD), with a clear translational potential.
The candidate will be member of the Integrative Neuroscience Group, and is expected to be fully integrated within a wider collaborative network and actively engage in relevant outreach and dissemination activities, including presentation of scientific results at national and international meetings and conferences.
Department of Neuromedicine and Movement Science (INB) conducts research and education covering a wide range of areas related to the nervous system, sense organs, the head, and motion control and movement.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, talented, creative scientist with a strong academic background:
- Master´s degree in neuroscience
- Experience with cellular models/aseptic techniques
- Documented skills in laboratory methods and techniques, including immunostaining, and microscopy
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master’s level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master’s degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or higher compared with NTNU’s grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- Current Master’s students can apply, but the master’s degree must be obtained and documented by 30.05.23
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty’s doctoral program
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Cell reprogramming skills
- Experience working with animal models, supported by Felasa C certification
- Background in computational neuroscience
Documented experience with electrophysiology and relevant data analysis will be a strong advantage for this position.
- Genuine interest in research with a high level of curiosity and willingness to learn
- Integrity, honesty, and a positive attitude
- Proven ability to work independently and also as part of a scientific team
- Documented ability to work with interdisciplinary teams
- Problem solving skills
Emphasis will be placed on personal and interpersonal qualities and strong motivation for the position.
For further information about the position and how to apply, please visit: