Job ID: 116365
Research Assistant in systems neuroscience lab
Deadline: 25 September 2023
Employment Start Date: 6 November 2023
Contract Length: 12 months with possibility of extension
Country: United Kingdom
Institution: University of Edinburgh
Department: Centre for Discovery Brain Sciences
Grade – UE06: £31,396.00 – £36,024.00 Per Annum
CMVM/Edinburgh Medical School/Deanery of Biomedical Sciences/Centre for Discovery Brain sciences
Full-time, 35 hours per week
Contract Type – Fixed-Term, 12 months in first instance with possibility of extension.
We are looking for a motivated research assistant to support basic research into visual cortex computation in mice in the lab of Rebecca Jordan. This will involve undertaking fundamental laboratory tasks such as rodent colony management, solution preparation, histology, and surgery.
You will contribute to a programme of high-quality research combining in vivo optical, electrophysiological, and behavioural experiments to determine the mechanisms of sensorimotor learning and integration in the visual cortex. The candidate will support data collection for original research by contributing to rodent colony management, lab maintenance, and solution making. In addition, the candidate may assist with histology, surgical procedures for whole cell recordings in vivo, mouse behavioural training, and data analysis as appropriate.
For further information on the role, please contact Rebecca via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your skills and attributes for success:
- Undergraduate degree in Biology, Neuroscience, Pharmacology, or another relevant subject area
- Applicants must hold or be willing to obtain a Home Office Personal Licence (PIL) for working with mice
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to facilitate effective collaboration and teamwork
- Effective organisation and record-keeping skills
To Access the full Job advert and apply, go to: