Job ID: 116533
PhD in the neurobiology of feeding behavior
Position: Ph.D. Student
Deadline: 15 October 2023
Institution: Umeå University
Ph.D. student in Medical Science with an orientation towards Psychiatry
The laboratory of Olof Lagerlöf at Umeå University in Sweden is seeking one Ph.D. student to study the neurobiology of feeding behavior. It is a four-year full-time position aiming towards Ph.D. certification. The position starts in October 2023 or per agreement.
At Umeå University you will experience an attractive and creative academic and research environment that is characterized by excellence, innovation, openness and diversity. We rank among the top universities in the world and are committed to providing our employees with unique opportunities for professional and personl development. More than 2000 researchers and 34 700 students have chosen Umeå University already. You are welcome too!
We are seeking a PhD student excited to study how the brain regulates feeding behavior. Our group approaches feeding behavior on a molecular, neuronal circuit and behavioral level. We are particularly interested in how the brain integrates emotions, memory and metabolic signaling to encode mental states such as hunger and satiety. As a Ph.D. student in our group you will uncover novel neuro-molecular mechanisms by which the brain influences what we eat and how such mechanisms can be used to treat unhealthy eating habits and eating disorders like anorexia nervosa. We believe in fostering an environment where everyone has the support, freedom, and ability to answer the big questions in neuroscience. Doing your Ph.D. in our group will give you critical insight to why we eat in the way we do and a versatile platform for your future career.
Terms of employment
The appointment aims at the Ph.D. degree and the main task of the Ph.D. student is to participate in the group’s research projects. The Ph.D. student shall also take postgraduate courses. In the assignments teaching and other departmental work (up to a maximum of 20%) can be included. The employment is limited to four years full-time or up to five years when part-time teaching. The salary is fixed according to the established salary level for doctoral employment at Umeå University. The position starts in October 2023 or per agreement.
We seek people excited about the brain and how its neuronal networks make us feel, think and eat.
Basic eligibility requirements: Applicants must hold a university degree at an advanced level of at least 240 credits (ECTS), including 60 credits at the advanced level, or equivalent levels of education otherwise acquired in Sweden or abroad.
Specific admission requirements:
- Sufficient knowledge from university education and possibly professional experience to meet the requirements of the doctoral studies and complete the planned research project. Additionally, fundamental general knowledge about the clinical subject is required. If the applicant does not have sufficient such knowledge from previous education, then the applicant’s knowledge should be made sufficient by the help of lectures, auscultation and literature studies, and be examined individually prior to or after registration as a doctoral student. The group for doctoral studies of the institution evaluates in each case the applicant’s merits and whether these meet the knowledge requirements.
- Necessary command of English. Command of English is assessed by the applicant giving an admission seminar in English at the institution or to the doctoral studies group at the institution.
Previous experience of animal behavior, stereotactic injections, biochemistry, molecular biology or imaging is meritorious.
The requirements must be fulfilled at the time of admission and do not have to be fulfilled at the time of application.
For further information about the project and position contact Assistant Professor Olof Lagerlöf at email@example.com.
The application should be written in English and include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter describing your research interests, why you want to work with us, how you can contribute to the lab and project and your career plans after the Ph.D.
- Copy of your master thesis
- List of publications (if any)
- Certified copies of degree certificates
- Certified list of university courses with grades. Note that for international applicants the grading system should be explained in brief
- Two reference letters
Applications must be submitted via our e-recruitment system Varbi no later than 15 October 2023.
We look forward to your application!