Job ID: 63402
Postdoc (m/f/d) in Neurocircuit Development and Function
Position: Post-doctoral Position
Deadline: 15 December 2021
Employment Start Date: 1 January 2022
Contract Length: 2 years
Institution: German Institute of Human Nutrition
Department: Neurocircuit Development and Function
The German Institute of Human Nutrition Potsdam-Rehbruecke (DIfE) is a member of the Leibniz Association. The institute’s mission is to conduct experimental and clinical research in the field of nutrition and health, with the aim of understanding the molecular basis of nutrition-dependent diseases, and of developing new strategies for treatment and prevention.
We invite applications for the Junior Research Group Neurocircuit Development and Function (NDF) for
1 Postdoc (m/f/d)
Specifically, the Junior Research Group is interested in neuronal circuits that control metabolism in the mouse model (food intake, energy expenditure, activity etc.) as well as how the maternal dietary environment can negatively influence the development and function of these brain circuits changing energy homeostasis and behavior of the offspring.
This position is uniquely targeted towards individuals interested in conducting research in the wet lab while dedicating effort to administrative tasks related to animal research.
Leading a research project focused on maternal food choice behavior throughout pregnancy/lactation in mouse models
- Presentation of research results (in scientific journals, colloquia and national conferences)
- Project design, data collection and subsequent analysis
Support ongoing in vivo and ex vivo mice experiments related to the intersection of food and behavior such as:
- Functional analysis of circuits using in vivo genetic modulations (i.e. photometry and chemogenetic)
- Identification of altered neurocircuit development using in vitro (primary explants) and in vivo techniques
- Immunohistochemical analysis of neural circuits
- Performing metabolic and behavioral tests to assess alterations to whole animal physiology
Manage existing animal ethics permits
- Submission of addendums, reports, notification of new researchers
- Support with writing of new applications within the research group
- Creation of a database for permit applications, generalized text for interventions
- Researching literature
- Lead team internal continuing education sessions quarterly
- Excellent master in neuroscience, biochemistry, biology, veterinary medicine or a related discipline required. A doctoral or PhD degree is required.
- Experience in animal experimentation and animal ethics applications, FELASA or equivalent is required
- Experience with modern molecular biological and biochemical methods (immunohistochemistry, PCR, etc.) is a bonus, but not required
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a diverse team
- Excellent German (in speaking and writing), ability to work in English and computer skills related to Word, PowerPoint, Excel are required
- Previous work with databases such as LAVAN or PyRat is considered a bonus
Applicants should be highly-motivated and hard-working scientists who are interested in pursuing administrative tasks next to research and wish to be part of a collaborative, international team within a superb scientific environment.
- A vibrant and interactive research setting
- Excellent working conditions and state-of-the-art Equipment
- Close collaboration with national and international project partners
- Support mobility with a job ticket for using the public transport
- Family-friendly working conditions (certification “audit berufundfamilie”)
- Standard/tariff conditions (TV-L, level EG 13)
The advertised position is available for 2 years.
Please send your documents (cover letter explaining your motivation, CV, copies of degrees/certificates and references) as a single pdf-file with reference nr. 2021_W06_H before December 15th, 2021 via e-mail to email@example.com.