Job ID: 65902
Postdoctoral Fellow – iPSC Neurodegenerative Disease Modeling
Position: Post-doctoral Position
Deadline: 1 February 2023
City: Grand Rapids
Country: United States
Institution: Van Andel Institute
Department: West Michigan Neurodegenerative Diseases Program
APPLY HERE: https://jobs.silkroad.com/vai/VAICareerSite/jobs/854
The West Michigan Neurodegenerative Diseases (MiND) Program at Van Andel Institute (VAI) is looking for a highly motivated and collaborative post-doctoral fellow to be a key part of the Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPSC) Platform. Under the mentorship of iPSC Platform Director, Dr. Laurent Roybon, this post-doctoral fellow will establish iPSC-derived models of neurodegenerative diseases, including Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease, to understand the molecular underpinnings of neurodegeneration.
The postdoctoral fellow position will be for a 1-year appointment with a possibility of renewal on a yearly basis.
- A recent Ph.D. graduate with demonstrated experience in any of the following fields: cell biology, biochemistry and/or neuroscience. At least one publication in these fields would be desirable.
- A preferred candidate will have experience working with iPSCs and in any of the following research areas: neuronal culture-based assays; confocal and/or high-throughput microscopy; viral vector technology; CRISPR/Cas9-mediated gene editing, or molecular/cellular neurobiology.
Description of a Successful Candidate:
- A self-motivated and driven individual who is able to exhibit exceptional research productivity and take responsibility for independent management of a project.
- A detail-oriented researcher who still keeps a clear grasp of the big picture.
- A team player who proactively shares knowledge and expertise with lab members.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Why join Van Andel Institute as a Postdoctoral Fellow?
Postdoctoral fellows are a crucial part of Van Andel Institute’s efforts to improve the health and enhance the lives of current and future generations. Postdoctoral Fellows are full-time employees and receive a competitive annual salary. This salary is determined based on Doctorate/MD receipt date according to a set stipend schedule, which begins at $55,000 and up to a maximum of $60,000. Applicants with exceptional qualifications may be considered for other salary scales.
Along with the competitive salary, our Postdoctoral Fellows are eligible for VAI benefits, including:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Employer-sponsored life and AD&D insurance
- Additional voluntary life and AD&D insurance for employees and dependents
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible-spending accounts for health and child/elder care
- 401 K retirement savings plans with employee/employer contributions
- Paid vacation, holidays, personal days
- Relocation Assistance
VAI recognizes that selecting where to complete a postdoctoral fellowship is a significant decision for postdoctoral fellows. VAI has a dedicated Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, which provides a comprehensive professional development program.
The Institute is located in fun, affordable and family-friendly Grand Rapids, MI. Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you’d expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walkable neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids’ diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities, green building and living, and innovative employers.
If you possess these attributes and desire to help us drive science from the bench to the clinic; we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today by completing the following:
- Qualified applicants should provide a cover letter outlining research experience and interests, a curriculum vitae, and the names and contact details of three references, to Dr. Laurent Roybon at email@example.com with the subject heading “postdoc”.
- Apply through VAI’s online application system.
If you have questions about the application process or working at VAI you are welcome to email Eric Miller, Director of Talent Acquisition & Employee Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org.