Job ID: 86113
Postdoc – Sensory Neuroscience (Electron microscopy)
Position: Post-doctoral Position
Deadline: 31 October 2022
Employment Start Date: 2 August 2022
Contract Length: 2 years initially
Institution: Max Planck Institute for Neurobiology of Behavior - caesar
Department: Research Group Neurobiology of Magnetoreception
The Max-Planck-Institute for Neurobiology of Behavior – caesar (MPINB) focuses on basic research in neuroethology. International researchers at the institute study how the collective activity of vast numbers of neurons gives rise to the plethora of animal behaviors. The interdisciplinary research spans from imaging neural circuits at the nanoscale to analyzing neural activity in a freely moving and naturally behaving animal.
The Max-Planck-Research Group “Neurobiology of Magnetoreception” headed by Dr Malkemper is looking for a
Postdoctoral Scientist (m/f/div) – Electron microscopy
We are looking for a talented and highly motivated scientist interested in studying the neural basis of the magnetic sense. We use African mole-rats and planarians as model systems to study magnetic orientation. The successful candidate is expected to explore new methods (SEM-EDX, TEM, Synchrotron-XRF, nitrogen-vacancy center imaging, MRI-QSM, μ-CT) to screen mole-rat tissues and planarians for iron-based magnetoreceptors.
More information about the group and projects can be found at www.malkemper-lab.com
What we expect from you:
– A team-oriented, flexible personality driven by curiosity and ambition
– A PhD in physics or biology/neuroscience
– Experience with electron microscopy or any of the above mentioned imaging methods
– Programming skills in python are a plus
– Knowledge of the German language is not a requirement
What we offer:
– An ERC/DFG-funded position initially limited to 2 years with the possibility of extension
– You will work in international and collaborative environment in a stimulating scientific institute
– Cutting-edge equipped, newly installed laboratories
– Access to state of the art electron microscopes and μ-CT
– Salary in line with the German public tariff (TVöD)
About the institute:
The MPINB is part of a cluster for neuroscience in the Bonn-Cologne region, comprising the German Center for Neu-rodegenerative Diseases and two Max-Planck-Institutes. The Institute hosts the International Max Planck Research School for Brain & Behavior and is involved in the Bonn International Graduate School of Neuroscience.
MPNB is committed to diversity and inclusion and is aiming to increase the percentage of women in areas where they are under-represented. We therefore explicitly encourage women to apply. Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
How to apply:
Please submit your application at our job portal: https://mpinb.mpg.de/en/joining-mpinb/open-positions.html or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for informal enquiries.