Job ID: 97899
Marie Skłodowska-Curie COFUND Doctoral Researcher, Neuro-Innovation
Position: Ph.D. Student
Deadline: 31 January 2023
Employment Start Date: 1 May 2023
Contract Length: 4 years
Institution: Universitiy of Eastern Finland
Department: A. I. Virtanen Institute
We are inviting applications for two fully funded 4-year Doctoral Researcher (PhD Student) positions in the EU-funded Marie Skłodowska-Curie Cofund Doctoral Programme project Neuro-Innovation: Research and innovation for brain health throughout life. The positions at the University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland, will start earliest in May 2023. Read more below and submit your application no later than January 31, 2023.
Research topics and environment
The first PhD project aims at combining electrophysiological recordings with functional MRI in rodent disease models in memory research. The research will be conducted at the A. I. Virtanen Institute with world-class facilities and active research for preclinical MRI and electrophysiology. The position will be located at the Neurobiology of Memory group (https://sites.uef.fi/neurobiology-of-memory-group/).
The objective of the second PhD project is to develop advanced (compressed sensing based) image reconstruction methods and optimal data collection techniques for fMRI with random stimulus. The research will take place in the Computational Physics and Inverse Problems (https://sites.uef.fi/inverse/) research group at Department of Applied Physics.
For these positions, we look for candidates with a background in physics, engineering, applied mathematics, signal analysis, electrophysiology or in vivo imaging, and who are open to multi/interdisciplinary approaches in research.
Both host research teams closely collaborate with the Biomedical Imaging group at the A. I. Virtanen Institute (https://sites.uef.fi/kuopiobiu)
The Neuro-Innovation project, a novel effort at University of Eastern Finland (UEF) aims to integrate its world class neuroscience with top-level innovation management, social sciences, law, data sciences and applied physics. This integration will produce unique inter/multidisciplinary competence.
Requirements for doctoral candidates:
- hold a Master’s Degree or a Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent degree) that includes a research thesis (or equivalent) and entitles to PhD studies in the country where the degree was issued in Neuroscience, Applied Physics, Biomedical Engineering, Applied Mathematics or in another related relevant field
- should not hold a doctorate or PhD
- should have less than 4 years of research experience after graduation (Master’s Degree or equivalent based on which you are applying for this position) by January 31, 2023
- excellent command of the English language
- must not have resided or carried out one’s main activity (work, studies) in Finland for more than 12 months in the immediately preceding 3 years on January 31, 2023.
Applicants may apply for both open positions.
More information on our website www.uef.fi/neuro-innovation