Job ID: 98303
POST-DOC in NEUROEPIGENETICS of HIPPOCAMPAL BEHAVIOR & #AGE-DEPENDENT COGNITIVE DECLINE
Position: Post-doctoral Position
Deadline: 15 December 2022
Employment Start Date: 1 March 2023
Contract Length: Two years (renewable)
Institution: Italian Institute of Technology (IIT)
WHO WE ARE
At IIT we work enthusiastically to develop human-centered Science and Technology to tackle some of the most pressing societal challenges of our times and transfer these technologies to the production system and society. Our Genoa headquarter is strictly inter-connected with our 11 centers around Italy and two outer-stations based in the US for a truly interdisciplinary experience.
You will be working in a multicultural group, mainly composed by Biologists, Biotechnologist and Biomedical scientists, who work in close collaboration with the multi-disciplinary staff of IIT having strong expertise on -omics, bioinformatics, material science, imaging, neuro-physiology and neuro-electronics. The neurobiology of microRNA Research Line is coordinated by Davide De Pietri Tonelli, who has extensive experience in the control of neural stem cell fate by noncoding RNAs in developing and adult mammalian brain. The research focuses on small noncoding RNAs in basic aspects of neurogenesis and its translational applications to RNA-based therapy for brain diseases, using rodents and human cells as models.
The project aims at investigating the epigenetic bases of hippocampal plasticity, spatial behavior and age-dependent cognitive decline, with a focus on a novel pathway of noncoding RNAs recently identified by our lab, which plays a role in the maintenance of neural stem cell fitness (Gasperini et al. 2022 accepted; Preprint at https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.09.15.297739). The project will be exploited with readily available knockout murine models, viral vectors and tools already established.
- A PhD in Biomedical Sciences (e.g., Medicine, Biology, Biotechnology or similar) or Neurosciences
- Documented experience in brain surgery and behavior paradigms (better if hippocampal-related)
- A strong publication records
- The ability to properly report, organize, communicate and publish research data
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Experience in cellular and molecular biology (e.g., but not limited to FACS; primary cell cultures preparation, RNA/DNA/protein isolation and analysis; immuno-histology; viral transduction; CRISPR/CAS-similar etc).
- Eligibility to apply to postdoctoral fellowships (e.g. MSCA, EMBO or similar).
- Good communication skills
- Strong problem-solving attitude
- High motivation to learn
- Spirit of innovation and creativity
- Good in time and priority management
- Ability to work in a challenging and international environment
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a highly interdisciplinary environment and coaching junior scientist
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Competitive salary package for international standards
- Private health care coverage
- Wide range of staff discounts
WHAT’S IN FOR YOU?
- Support in grant writing: host lab track record has >50% success rate of the applications to competitive postdoctoral grants.
- Support during relocation: If paperwork is not your piece of cake, we got you! There’s a specialized team working to help you with that.
- Open door policy: We like contamination and encourage you to mingle and discover what other people are up to in our labs.
- An equal, inclusive and multicultural environment (English is the official language in the lab) ready to welcome you with open arms. Discrimination is a big NO for us!
- If you want your work to have a real impact, in IIT you will find an innovative and stimulating culture that drives our mission to contribute to the improvement and well-being of society!
- We stick to our values! Integrity, courage, societal responsibility and inclusivity are the values we believe in! They define us and our actions in our everyday life. They guide us to accomplish IIT mission!
Please submit your application using the online form and including a detailed CV, university transcripts, cover letter (outlining motivation, experience and qualifications) and contact details of 2 references (ideally including the PhD supervisor).
Application’s deadline: December 15th,2022.
For question contact: email@example.com